From:
Bill Quinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 14:45:01 GMT
About timed ticketing!

It works!

I have been working at the Barnes Exhibition at the Art Gallery of
Ontario. So far we have sold close to a half million tickets with only
a five minute line up through out to get in. Apparently the Musee
d'Orsay had up to 5 hour line ups for the exhibit.

We have sold ticket entry on the half hour interval, asking that
people try to arrive 15 minutes prior. This allows constant flow in
entry for the entire half hour period, as there are pepople who are on
time, late and early generally.

Within the exhibit, there tends to be a natural flow through. People
don't tend to go back. Once seen, they leave. Volumes have been high,
but not unmanageable.

The only drawback to this type of ticketing is the publics perception
of timed entrance meaning timed exit. The misconception arose that
they would be forced to leave after only an hour, or asked to move
along if they stood for too long in an area. Generally the front line
ticket sales staff covered this issue, and reassured people this whas
not to be the case. Once the exhibit was in full swing, word got out,
and they began to believe what we said!

Anyways, from what I've observed (I'm an educator with school's
programming at the AGO), timed ticketing works becasue it can control
large volumes of visitors.

If you want any specific info contact me personally and I'll try to
get some specific info from Ticket Sales.

Bill Quinney
(416) 536-5646
 or
--