From:
David Beiter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 00:38:00 EST
A friend just showed me his old violin which he wants to sell.

I know nothing about the things, this being the first violin which I
have touched in my lifetime.

Inside is a paper label:
  Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonenfis   [I think the "f" is a "ss"]
  Faciebat Anno 1723                    [the "23" is handwritten]
  AS                              [in a circular symbolic device]

Pressed into the wood on the back is:
  Wilhelmj

There is no "reproduction of", "copy of", or "in the style of" that I
can find.

There is no post inside of the body under the bridge.  Then again,
there is no bridge either, :(so a post could have long ago fallen
out): .

There is doodling on the wooden parts.  This looks like part numbers
to me, but my 18th century Italian is kinda weak.  ;)

The owner says that Smithsonian thought that it was real, based on a
videotape.  They wanted him to give it to them.  This is undocumented,
the letter supposedly lost by his sister in a move.

Questions:

#0.  Can anyone put me in touch with someone who might know something
about this?

#1.  Is this for real?  From its looks, I could be convinced that it
has been around for 250 years.  But, do Stradivarius violins normally
come to light in a hillbilly shack in Kenutcky??

#2.  Is it valuable?  It is in unplayable condition.  There is a crack
across the top.  No bridge, no strings.  There is some glue on the
side which is on top of the varnish [presumed later in time].

#3.  Where is the market?  What is it worth?

Any ideas?

I have some 35mm prints which might help in identification.

Please don't suggest that he take it to the local violin shop.  There
is no such thing out here:

on the edge of           _,,-^`--.         [log in to unmask]
The Boonies        .__,-'         \        David P Beiter
halfway between  _/              ,/        1/2 Fast Road
Slavans &       (__,---------*-''          Ritner, KY  42639
Freedom via canoe.           ^Ritner, KY   606/376-3137

It's times like these that I wish that I knew more fiddlers and fewer
microbiohydrogeochemists.