From:
Felicia Pickering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 1994 17:08:50 EDT
The message below may be of interest to others outside the Smithsonian
so I am forwarding the relevant parts on:

To: SI Staff

From: Robert McC. Adams, Secretary
Subject: Memorial Service for Ralph Rinzler

It is with deep sorrow that I announce the death of our beloved
friend and colleague Ralph Rinzler.  Ralph, who served as Assistant
Secretary for Public Service from 1983 to 1991, passed away on
Saturday, July 2.  He will always be warmly remembered for founding
the Smithsonian Festival of American Folklife in 1967 and for
becoming the founding director of the Smithsonian Office of Folklife
Programs.

There will be a memorial service in his honor on Thursday, July 7,
1994 at 11 am.  The tribute will take place at the Heritage Music
Tent of the Folklife Festival on the National Mall.  The tent is the
large one nearest 14th Street on the Mall.

The Rinzler family has requested that any contributions on behalf
of Ralph Rinzler be sent to the Ralph Rinzler Memorial Fund at
Highlander, 1954 Highlander Way, New Market, TN  37820.