Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Greg Trimper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 23:45:00 CDT
>We are trying to find out what common practices or policies are in regard to
>serving food and beverages in museum galleries during an opening reception,
>for instance.  We are especially interested in the practices of other art
>museums, although all replies are welcome.

Receptions that I have been to have served wine, beer (gack, how cultural),
soda, and things like vegetable trays.  There are usually stands/ropes so that
people can't get too close to any works.  Not that I have ever seen a problem
with food/drink and people spilling it on artwork.

The only problem that I *have* seen with such receptions is the alchohol-
underage drinkers tend to find out where these things are for the free,
unrestricted alchohol.  I have never seen a reception check ID for
drinks (as a matter of fact, most of the underage drinkers seem to be
college students, friends of the students who are usually serving as
bartenders, ushers, etc).

A group of drunk college students CAN and WILL ruin an opening reception.
They are not there for the art, they are there for the free drinks.

There are ways to avoid this: 1) Don't serve alchohol.  Soda and veggies
don't attract these people.  2) ID people to get drinks - rather rude at
such an event, so probably not a good idea.  3) Invitation Only Admittance-
you then know your group, however, that is elitist/classist, keeping
art away from people who aren't on your invite list.

Frankly, I think the don
't serve/only have enough on hand for say, a glass of champagne per guest,
is probably the best solution.  This would also solve drunk-induced
accidents and damages.

Just your average art critic (isn't everyone?)
Greg Trimper