From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 1994 14:44:29 -0700
   Another book to take a look at is compiled and edited by Bill Truesdell,
DIRECTORY OF UNIQUE MUSEUMS (Phoenix: Oryx Press, 1985).
   One of my favorites of this genre is THE THING!!! alongside Interstate 10
in southeastern Arizona. The museum itself is an odd collection of junk
ranging from old automobiles and appliances, and the THING!!! turns out to be
a mummified body.
   Many of the museums in Tombstone, Arizona, are largely collections of junk,
including many pairs of Wyatt Earp's pistols (he must've had quite a few at
the shootout, since I have seen at least a dozen pairs).
   I am reminded of the story I was told about a collector proudly showing off
his material to a group of archaeologists. He pulled out a small human skull
and stated that this skull was Coronado's when he was a child!

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
BITNET: IACAGC@ASUACAD    INTERNET: [log in to unmask]