From:
Richard Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 11:43:07 -0700
In regards to the issue of electronic citations, I'm glad the book
"Electronic Style..." was mentioned, however for some reason italics are
used in almost every type of citation mentioned, making it useful for WWW
presentation perhaps, but what to do with Ascii formats???

Anyway, I happen to write for an electronic journal _Current Cites_, which
cites current articles on information technolgy. The target audience is mostly
Library and Museum professionals, but I'm sure there are others subscribing.
The journal cites information from both print and electronic sources, and adds
the further layer of doing it in a form that can be conveyed itself in
electronic Ascii format.  Although I write for them, the journal is hosted
by the Library here at UC Berkeley; and I hear library professionals are
pretty good with citations :-)
This journal would offer one example of how to cite electronic information,
having done so for the last four years.

This journal will at some point become available in HTML format, which
lends the added function of being able to hyper-link cites of electronic
sources to the original resource. A whole new way to think about
citations........

If you want to check it out, information about Current Cites is attached below.
Well, I've said enough today.  Ciao.

Richard Rinehart
Information Systems Manager
University Art Museum / Pacific Film Archive
University of California at Berkeley

CURRENT CITES

Current Cites (ISSN: 1060-2356) is a monthly publication
of Information Systems Instruction & Support (ISIS),
The Library, University of California, Berkeley.
Contributors include: Teri Rinne, David Rez,
Nathan Meyer, Richard Rinehart and Roy Tennant.

Over 30 journals in library and information technology are
scanned for selected articles on optical disc technologies,
computer networks and networking, electronic publishing, and
hypermedia and multimedia.  Brief annotations accompany the
citations.

To Subscribe:
[log in to unmask], replacing "[your name]" with
your name.

Other Access:
--------------
The most current six issues of Current Cites are also available
online through the MELVYL (tm) system (telnet melvyl.ucop.edu or
192.35.222.222) by entering the command "show current cites".

A searchable version is available via telnet to a.cni.org
with login "brsuser".  Current Cites is also available in print
a month or two following electronic publication in the journal
Computers in Libraries.

Back Issues:
------------
The definitive anonymous ftp archive resides at
ftp.lib.berkeley.edu in directory /pub/Current.Cites.
URL=ftp://ftp.lib.berkeley.edu/pub/Current.Cites.
FTP problems at this site should be reported to:

Anonymous ftp access is also available from ftp.cni.org in
directory /current.cites, URL=ftp://ftp.cni.org/current.cites
or ftp.eff.org in directory /pub/journals/CurrentCites
URL=ftp://ftp.eff.org/pub/journals/CurrentCites.

Gopher access is available via InfoLib, the UC Berkeley Library
Gopher, at infolib.berkeley.edu, port 70, or by using the
following link:
Name=Current Cites
Type=1
Port=73
Path=1/ejrnls/Current.Cites
Host=gopher.lib.berkeley.edu

Contact:--------
Editor, Teri Rinne ([log in to unmask])
  or
Head, ISIS, Roy Tennant ([log in to unmask])

Information Systems Instruction & Support
The Library, 130 Doe
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510)643-9494; Fax: (510) 643-6135