From:
Andrea Yangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 09:46:42 EDT
         Wider Audience Development Program, 786-2403

There is also the "Museo de las Momias" (Mummy Museum) in Guanajuato, Mexico,
which features about 50 disinterred, dried bodies.  When my folks visitedthe
museum about 25 years ago, the momias were not "tastefully" displayed in
glass cases as they are today.  Instead, visitors had to climb down a ladder
into a hole in the ground to see them, and they were merely propped up
against the wall, open-air.  This is one of Guanajuato's biggest tourist
attractions and the subject, I think, of a Ray Bradbury short story I read.
You can buy mummy-shaped candy outside the museo...I indulged only in a few
postcards :)

Andrea Yangas, Wider Audience Development Program
Smithsonian Institution [log in to unmask]