From:
Judith A Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 1994 12:38:19 -0500
On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, Robbin Murphy wrote:

> Teresa Ebie wrote:
>
> >As an art historian who spends a lot of time sitting in front of the
> >microfilm reader looking at archival materials from such sources as the
> >Archives of American Art, state libraries, etc.

> I'm glad this came up as I've been discussing the possibilities of
> of museum archives as online, etc. material with several people.
> It's an area where every kind of museum becomes a history museum (and
> with fewer copyright problems!). Are museum archives being forgotten
> in budget cuts? Any interesting projects out there?

Robbin raises some interesting points but in all fairness, Teresa was
not asking about the peculiar breed of archives known as Museum Archives,
she was asking about the much larger world of archives and manuscript
repositories.

There are quite a few initiatives going on in museum archives, a number
of which have been mentioned in Museum-L and on the Archives List,
including a posting I contributed on public access last week.  Museum
archives are alive and well and any time Robbin or anyone else is
interesting in digitzing all those great memos between Curator X and
Exhibit Designer Y over the placement of labels in Exhibit Z, I'd be
more than glad to provide access to originals.

*  Judy Turner                *  [log in to unmask]  *
*  Milwaukee Public Museum    *  414/278-2730          *
*  800 W. Wells Street        *  fax 414/278-6100      *
*  Milwaukee, WI  53233       *                        *