From:
Margaret Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 13:10:12 -0700
We have just purchased GENCAT, a relational database program built on
ADVANCED REVELATION software. What is different about it as opposed to
virtually all relational systems out there is that fields are of
unlimited length, can repeat as often as needed, and support subfields.
We have also purchased the MARC import/export add-on module, which is
very recent, as it wasn't available, I don't think, until a short while
ago.

The software is not cheap, $5,000 for the whole business, but looks as if
it will do everything we would like.

We have only just gotten our feet wet with the software, but are briging
down one of their consultants to train our staff for 3 days. This was
another requirement we had, that the MARC software be easily customizable
by our staff, since we have numerous requirements beyond simple MARC
cataloging software. (Plus, the manual that came with GENCAT doesn't deal
extensively with customization.)

If I can answer any questions about GENCAT, I will be happy to do so, but
can answer them more fully after our training at the end of this month.

Margaret

Margaret Byrne
National Moving Image Database
 National Center for Film and Video Preservation,
The American Film Institute
Los Angeles, CA