From:
Jim Croft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 1994 08:28:48 +1000
> Thanks, Jim, for the very informative message on relational databases.
> You answered many questions I've had of late. Can you recommend some
> good commercial database programs? I'm sure you have good domestic sources
> but I need something sold here in the U.S.

Wow!  That is worse than asking someone if there are any good taxes that
need to be paid...

I would be hesesitant to reccommend any one product above another as they
all have serveral good points and slightly more bad ones, which leads
to an interesting love-hate relationship between the user/organization
and its database.

But we could talk about the criteria useful in selecting a database. In
no particular order.

primarily

o   What databases does the boss like or have at home?

then

o   Choose something appropriate for the scale of your operation - if a
    single user application on a standalone box is sufficient, there is
    no point in spending squillions on multi user, multitasking,
    networked, distributed somethingorother.

o   Do you want/need a database that will work on multiple hardware
    platforms?  If you have only one harware type, this narrows your
    options.

o   Buy something you can afford - not just purchase, but also the
    on-going licence and maintenance fees (and be prepared for a few
    shock here).

o   Buy something you can run.  Creating and maintaining a database is
    not a trivial exercise and depends heavily on the computing
    expertise you have at your disposal.

o   Nearly all the major databases I have seen in museums and
    collections situations have a US base, so you should not have
    a problem there.

o   Consider products with a widely installed user base - especially in
    your local area (unless you are imbued with the pioneer spirit and
    feel corageous) and preferably in your own institution.  There is
    no substitute to talking to someone who has already made the
    mistakes.

o   Someone may have already built an application you can use after a
    little modification (I have never seen an application developed in
    one institution that can be used in another _without_ modification).
    Ask around - if you do not find what you want, you will certainly
    pick up some good ideas.

o   Avoid products that are too idiosyncratic or non-standard.  An SQL
    interface is a big plus here.

o   Ensure that what you end up with is not going to lead you into and
    tie you into the product - your data and structure should be able to
    be exported to another database without too much hassle.  Avoid
    words like 'post-relational' and so on as you may end up with a
    database that is not exportable.

o   Ensure that the product can export data to be used by other
    applications (such as the World Wide Web).

o   Look at the types of data your thinking of handling - most databases
    handle numbers and labels quite well, but are limited when it comes
    to manipulating and analyzing large and structured slabs of text.
    If images, sounds and other esoterica are important to your
    operation, this will influence your decision.

o   Look for tools that come with the software to help you build and
    structure your database, design data entry interfaces and report
    outputs and that facilitate control oand maintenance of users, and
    maintenance of data content.

o   When dealing with the company, do not believe everything the
    salespeople will tell you, especially about what is coming 'real
    soon now'.  If you can, seek out the technical support staff (they
    are ones who do not look like second hand car dealers and are not
    wearing ties and pin-stripe suits - for authenticity check for
    chewed fingernails, dark rings under the eyes and coffee stains
    on the shirt).

and ultimately

o   What databases does the boss like or have at home?

This is just a short and very incomplete list of critera you should use
in deciding what your are going to buy.  I am sure others would disagree
with some of them and certainly have other points they would like to add.
When you have aquired your database, populated it with data, then we
can talk about making the information available to the internet.

cheers

-- jim
Jim Croft         [Herbarium CANB & CBG]          internet: [log in to unmask]
Australian National Herbarium &                      voice:  +61-6-2509 490
Australian National Botanic Gardens               faxmodem:  +61-6-2509 484
GPO Box 1777, Canberra, ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA            fax:  +61-6-2509 599
                          URL=http://155.187.10.12:80/people/croft.jim.html
______Biodiversity Directorate, Australian Nature Conservation Agency______
_________________Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research____________________