"Robert O. Dahl" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Jul 1994 08:20:52 -0700
Note: We have been discussing the "Oceans " exhibit at The Provincial
Museum in Victoria, B.C.

Robert-  I remember that exhibit very well. However, I don't remember any of the
content, which is the precise problem with technical wizardry.
It often overshadows the personal discovery of the artifact or specicimen or
skill to the point where all one remembers is the cleverness of the talking
projection on the blank white head. Best Regards, Bob Bridgeford, Director,
Portland Children's Museum <[log in to unmask]>

Bob-  I'm posting this to the group to try and encourage more input. I
agree with you that technical wizardry can and often does overshadow the
message of the exhibit. There's a fine line here. I think particularly from
the point of view of an exhibit appealing to children. I don't know how
often I've seen kids run up to a technical exhibit (read using fancy
technology) and just start pushing away on the buttons to see what happens.
The medium needs to be kept in the background. Personally, I haven't
learned to do this yet, so I remain somewhat of a Luddite in my designs
<Chula Vista Childrens Marsh Museum is an example>. I think this also stems
from having been an exhibits curator and having to face the nightmare of
keeping all that stuff running.
        At the same time I thought the "Oceans" exhibit was a bold step at
its time. What positive things can we get from it ?
        At the present time I'm working on a birdwatching exhibit that will
have a computerized bird identification program as an integral part of the
birdwatching experience. How do I keep the technology in the background ? I
also want to encourage the visitor to do it the old-fashioned way and learn
to use a field guide and I would prefer these technologies complement
rather than compete with each other. It's a difficult problem.

All the best,
        Robert

Robert O. Dahl
Museum Consultant                                       Ph:(602) 797-4752
Interpretive Planning and Design                        Fax: same
8421 N. Via Tioga                                       AOL:[log in to unmask]
Tucson, AZ 85704
internetaddress:[log in to unmask]