From:
Marilyn Lenz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 17:06:00 CDT
ATTENTION ALL MEDAL AND SEAL EXPERTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We at the Texas Memorial Museum have a MYSTERY to solve and we could use your
help!!!!!!!!!

In our collection we have a number of what are tentatively identfied as the
work of Scottish medallists and gem engravers James and William Tassie,
(1735-1799) and (1777-1860) respectivly.  The castings are refered as
"Tassies" or molds of Tassies. They are oval, round, and rounded oblongs,
ranging in size from 1/4" to 2" across.  They seem to be made of plaster.
Each cast is wrapped in a gold edged paper collar.  They are numbered on the
side of the collar.  The labeling in the collection is in both German and in
English. Some of the gem casts are mounted in a cardboard book type case with
German lettering describing gem collections in Italian Museums.  Other casts
are mounted in flat trays.  Still others are mounted in flat wood grained
paper covered boxes with bright heraldic designs printed on the paper lining.
The collector in his gift agreement states that he bought them from an old
estate in Scotland in 1960 and had them identified at the British Museum and
later at the firm of Spink and Sons in London and from this we get the Tassie
attribution.  The collection was donated to the Harry Ransome Center in 1968.
The casts are decorated with mostly classical motifs.
If these objects seem familiar to anyone or if you know of anyone who might
have expertise in this area PLEASE respond to
Patricia Strong
Texas Memorial Museum