From:
GIVE PEAS A CHANCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 1994 06:58:00 EST
We have just been reviewing and refining our "collections" policies
at NESC. It's been a tad hairy, not ONLY for the reasons outlined
in the current exchange but also because in addition to extensive
nat. hist. collections we have live animals which fall under
the rubric.

I have taken, with our Board committee a strong stand [using as
leverage the fact that many Science Musuems deaccessed collections
to enter the worlds of pulleys and levers. As our mission has
been refocused to environment and global change, the integration
of collections into ALL exhibits and programs is critical and
enhancing--eg. paleoecology, paleoclimatology, biodiversity etc]

Even tho UGH we have the silliest plastic heart models and
a Nazi uniform or two!!! taking room in collections, some VERY
vaulable picture frames!!!! and clocks!!!! [I'd LOVE the room!]
My stand has been NO deaccession under any conditions; long term
loans to other Musuems aok. Accession policy, of course, now
mission driven.

Perhaps,tho not a "constraining" liscensing issue, Musuems
with Natural History collections could come up with some
agreed upon guidelines...with censure attached? Sort of like
AAUP and universities???

Lois

Lois Brynes
Associate Director