From:
Carolyn Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 1994 23:33:13 EST
I am writing a paper on deaccessioning practices in history museums in
the United States for my Museum Methods class and was wondering whether
anyone out there could respond to an informal survey:

1) When did your museum first develop a written deaccessioning procedure?
  What prompted it?

2) Would you be willing to send me a copy of your institution's policy on
deaccessioning?

3)  I have come across examples of state-run institutions that cannot dispose
of objects by any means other than destruction because of restrictions on the
sale or donation of state property.  Is this the case nationwide?  Do museums
operated by the federal government have these restrictions?  (I know the
Smithsonian does not.)

4)  Would anyone be willing to share (anonymously or otherwise) examples of
deaccessioning episodes that did not go well?  Alternatively, does anyone
have examples of deaccessioning at its best?

Any feedback will be appreciated!
Replies requested by April 15, 1994.

Carolyn M. Brady
4823 F Covered Bridge RD