From:
Amy Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 1994 13:57:00 -0700
It seems to me that subscribers to this list have come into it with very
different views and expectations as to the purpose of having their email
addresses available to others.  The LISTSERV management oversees this
list; perhaps they should develop some guidelines as to what purposes
would be considered appropriate for using names off the list.  Such
guidelines could be developed through a discussion on Museum-L itself.
A general consensus could be reached (yes, I believe it's possible).
Not everyone might agree, but those who felt uncomfortable with these
guidelines could CONCEAL their names.  The guidelines could be published
to everyone currently on the list, and to new subscribers so we all know
the score.  The guidelines cannot be enforced, of course, but at least
we would have some idea of what is considered appropriate so that abusers
would know who they were, and we can determine if our addresses are being
circulated inappropriately.

By the way, I went back and looked at the original message I received
from LISTSERV and there is a very clear warning on there that states:
"Plese note that it is presently possible for anybody to determine that
you are signed up to the list through the use of the "Review" command...
If you do not wish your name to be available to others in this fashion,
just issue a 'SET MUSEUM-L CONCEAL' command."  We all have been warned...

Amy A. Douglass