From:
Dave Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 07:44:11 -0500
One of the most imaginative ideas for adding context to an exhibit was a
small exhibit which Colonial Williamsburg did a couple of years ago on
Natural History. The curator not only showed the wealth of printed
materials on natural history in colonial america but this was further
illustrated by the extensive use of wonerful decorative arts objects
which incorporated natural history images into their decoration and
forms (my favorite was the silver turtle soup tureen). We also had a
reading room with reference books - a quiet nook for vistors to
contemplete and read. My favorite part of it all was the use of a small
garden area adjacent to the gallery where visitors could exit the exhibit
and actually see the flora which had been depicted in the exhibit materials!

Dave
=:|\Pinnacle Online                    - Open and dynamic Internet services:=
=:|_/||\ ||\ |   |\.| __  |       Voice: 804/498.3889  email: [log in to unmask]:=
=:|  || \|| \| o | \| \_ .|        Data: 804/498.9762  login: guest or new :=