From:
Dennis Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 12:15:16 -0400
*********************************
This is being cross-posted to both the Archives and Museum lists...please
forgive the duplication.
*********************************

I am trying to get information from any institutions actively (or
passively!) collecting digital or electronic material, particularly on
floppy disk, but really ANY computer files that are being viewed as
ARTIFACTS. That is, I am not looking for the *electronic administrative
records* such as e-mail or spreadsheets such as might be collected by
government, univversity, and corporate archives, but rather those
materials of a more creative nature such as on-line instruction manuals,
computer-generated presentations, and other *non-transactional*
creations. (Yes, I realize that these MIGHT constitute *records* but our
interest at this point is less in their *administrative* value...)

What we are looking for is information about the procedures used for
appraisal and access, as well as how the problems that exist with these
materials are being handled by the institutions. Please respond back
directly to me -- if there is enough interest for the information, I will
gladly summarize it for the Lists. Thanks.

Dennis Moser                     I once declared that we            *
[log in to unmask]                  should digitize it all...          *
[log in to unmask]          Now I may be the last humanist     *
(517)764-6264                    to go through SILS...              *
                School of Information and Library Science           *
                        University of Michigan                      *
...and if you are a WEB-footed cognescenti: try this one --         *
http://http2.sils.umich.edu/~aldus/HomePage.html   ...and have fun  *