From:
Lynne Teather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 19:48:16 -0500
Like Jan Anderson, I find the answers and spin-off questions as
elucidating as the original inquiry. Actually, hearing the whole
conversation provides a wonderful perspective on the global museum
world; otherwise, its like hearing one end of a phone conversation.

By the way, I really wasn't having a private conversation with Robbin
the other day. It may have been spoken to Robbin but was intended for
all. Afterall, I'm not the only one whose been concerned about his being
locked up in his apartment for three months, dreaming of Florence,
itemizing the New York Times museum pieces for our benefit, am I?

And you should see the review of the Met that he sent back to me!
Dutch paintings, photographs without labels--very interesting!
Perhaps, he should post it on museum-l for all to witness.

By the way, Toronto is going to get the Barnes show in a few months
and the hype has started.( It is after all one of the six sites in
North America that will have the exhibition!) Tonight, Garth Drabinsky
of Odeon Cineplex fame is throwing a bash for the rich and famous in Toronto to
celebrate the Art Gallery of Ontario's success in winning the show.
I wasn't invited but then I'm sure that the level of annual salary was
a factor!

Who has seen it on its various travels and what is your impression of its
importance to the art gallery world? I saw it last summer in Washington and
found it disappointing. Was I wrong and merely jaded by Washington museum fatigu
e?

Lynne Teather,
Prof.,
Museum Studies Program,        "bemused, bothered and feeling poor"
University of Toronto