From:
Tamara Gascoigne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 10:09:16 -0700
This conversation just reminded me of a computer aided exhibit/explanation
of the restoration procedures of the paintings in the Sistine Chapel..the
computer was very helpful because one, the paintings were at that time,
mostly covered with scaffolding and tarps and two, one was able to see much
more of the details of the paintings than is possible from the floor.  This
is the only computer aided exhibit that I have dealt with although, I am
working on a project that has been incorporated with a computer to some
extent and is currently being improved.  I worked for two years on an
archaeology site in Italy and the site director has involved architects and
computer people to create a computerized "walkthrough" of the villa.  At the
present time, it is fairly simple but is being improved.  My portion of the
project is to try and reconstruct the wall paintings so they can be
added into the presentation.  I think that in this case, the computer
enhances the exhibit because the site is not terribly well preserved and it
assists the viewer with the visualization.  Of course, the downfall is the
accuracy of the reconstructions, but, better to incorrectly reconstruct in
the memory of a hard drive than with the physical pieces, right?

Tamara Gascoigne