From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 12:18:34 EDT
Here at the Detroit Institute of Arts, we hav a highly successful program
called "Gallery Service".  We have developed a core of over 700 volunteers who
take 2 1/2 hour shifts on a periodic basis.  They work in concert with our
part time gallery guards.  We do however have 24 security staff in addtion to
our part time staff and the gallery service attendants.  The job of the gallery
 service attendants is to help people find their way, direct people to the rest
rooms and to be "a presence" in the galleries.  They go through an extensive
training program.  They may not act as docents and they must bring any problems
to the attention of the guards rather than try to handle it themselves.  Please
 contact Gloria Parker, Gallery Service Coordinator for more information.  Her
telephone number is 313 833 3738.
Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar
DIA