From:
Jim Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 1994 18:45:20 EST
It is obvious that the movement of visitors via the use of moving walkways is o
ne method utilized in high volume areas.  Thinking after I wrote the question I
 vaguely recall Sea World using this format in their Shark tank tunnel.
  What I was hoping for when I brought up the question was for some comments o
n the impact this may have on the outcome of such a visit.
I have seen no evaluative work done on this.  Intuitivelly I woul
d surmise that the educational/learning value of the exhibit may be seriously r
educed.  Visitors no longer get to linger and read and view and socialize in fr
ont of the exhibit.  Keeping people moving is important in some circumstances b
ut I would surmise that there is something lost in the experience by glancing i
n passing at objects.  I wonder what the speed of these walkways is related to
the research findings on time viewing an exhibit is.  Also I wonder if the exhi
bits are organizd in such a way to sequentially build a viewers understanding q
uickly as they move in a certain direction.  Anyway just some thoughts

* Jim Ellis, Assistant Director                                         *
* Overseas Studies                                                      *
* Office of International Studies and Programs                          *
* P.O. Box 113225, 123 Tigert Hall          Telephone: (904) 392-6356   *
* UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA                     Fax:       (904) 392-5575   *
* GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA 32611      Internet: [log in to unmask]  *