From:
Gregory Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 1994 04:47:10 -0400
> >Does anyone out there know of any history exhibits on suburbanization?  I'm
> >currently on an exhibit team for such an exhibit at the Johnson County
> >Museums (outside Kansas City) and we're in the middle of NEH funded
> >planning.  I don't think the staff has a good idea of whether and how this
> >subject has been dealt with before.
> >
> >Cheryl Musch
> >Johnson County Museums

I'm currently working on an exhibit about suburburbinazation in Pittsburgh
(actually a small part of a much larger general exhibit) for the
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania.  One of the problems I've run
into is the degree to which life in postwar suburbia 1950s is remembered
via "Happy Days" and other nostalgic portrayals in popular culture. Don't
fall into this trap!  Life in the suburbs was not always the Cleaver
family experience (certainly not in Pittsburgh).  Do a lot of research,
especially demographics, settlement patterns, commercial development...
Conduct oral histories to capture as much local flavor as possible, as not
all suburbs (from region to region) are alike.
You might be the first in your region to look seriously at these issues.

Have fun, and keep in touch

Gregory Smith
HSWP