From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 1994 04:15:21 -0700
On Thu, 21 Jul 1994, Gary Eastty wrote:

> Would someone at the National Museum of the American Indian please help me
> understand a recent ad in Native Peoples magizine for the NMAI in New
> York?  I understand, from another ad in the same issue that the museum
> is being planned for completion in 2001 in Washington D.C.  I had
> previously heard it was to be located in D.C.  Maybe I'm misreading the
> ad about an event on October 29, 1994.   Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Gary Eastty
> Internation Museum of Cultures(Dallas, TX)
> EMail: [log in to unmask]

I am not with NMAI, but know about the facilities.  You are not misreading.
Actually there are two sites.  The exhibition on 29 October 1994 is in
New York at the old Customs House (near Battery Park).  The Heye
Foundation collection became part of the NMAI several years ago, but
their facility (at 155 and Broadway) was not in the best neighborhood.
The Customs House (part of it) was remodeled to serve as an exhibition
area.

The museum that is being built (open 2001), is in Washington DC.  It will
occupy the "open" site on the Mall.  There will also be a collections
storage/conservation laboratory in Maryland.

Dave Wells