From:
Felicia Pickering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 1994 10:17:05 EST
When we were at the Tower of London in February the Crown
Jewels were still closed for renovations.  The yeoman
warders were telling us all about the renovations, however,
and how they were designed to make the Crown Jewels more
visible and more accessible to more people.  The implication
was that SO MANY people want to see them that they were
doing everything possible to increase the amount of people
who could in a day.  Guess moving walkways are part of the
strategy.
The National Archives in Washington, D.C. has not resorted
to that strategy for access to the Declaration of Independence,
etc. but they do have people making sure you don't linger too
long.  Since I live in D.C. I can keep going back but I know
it is a kind of frustrating thing for a one time visitor.
I don't know of many ways to balance the quality of the viewing
experience and the desire of a large number of people to see
such cultural icons.