Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Paul Apodaca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 1994 23:45:42 -0800
I'm sorry for the sound of harshness. Our colleague does reveal an
interesting aspect of the discussion. Why indeed would a board of directors
seek out someone who has never worked in a museum and specifically state
that they do not want to consider a curator for the directorship of the
institution? Is this a growing trend or has it already become widespread
and what does it reflect?

I have not spoke to a single museum professional who is happy about the
Disney venture in Virginia, yet I have not seen an AAM letter writing
campaign as we did when AAM destroyed the Metzger Bill that would have
supported Native American sovereignty. Why?

Education departments are great and I would be fascinated to see one that
could explain to curators the principles by which people are educated and
thereby help curators to arrive at a methodology that was effective. The
education angle is being emphasized by many boards and directors of
development because it is "sexy" and can be used as an emotional ploy to
get corporate sponsorship to help children. It's hard to get people to give
money so you can store artifacts in a dark room. The problem is we are all
looking for money.

I truly think museums, libraries, zoos, and schools should be publicly
subsidized. Why should someone pay for these things if they don't use them?
So people don't eat each other. The passing on of civilization and culture
is too important to be left vulnerable to market theories and popular fads.
If you want to make sure the guy at the four way intersection stops when
you do, then insure that he can read.
Paul Apodaca