From:
Tree-Ring Circus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 1994 10:54:24 -0900
        RE: computer software, hardware, technology in general--
        It has been my experience, over 25 years in dealing with this
stuff, that unless your institution can fund a position dedicated
to computer and other technology maintenence, you are better off using
software and hardware specifically designed for the purpose you need to
address.
        I have encountered, far too many times, institutions that had
a hot grad student who designed a beautiful data base, interactive
video system, audio-vidoe production studio, only to have it crash
and burn when that person moves on to other things.
        Bringing technology on-line requires dedicated, continuing
administrative support for the on-going maintenece and continued devlopment
of software and hardware systems.  It is far to easy to spend $10,000
on the latest Gee-Whiz technology and not dedicate the annual $X0,000
(fill in the appropriate digit) salary and benefits necessary to keep
the initial investment functionaing and contributing to the institution.
        It is not adequate to say, "Oh, we'll find someone on staff to handle
that."  Therein disaster lies. THere mus tbe a dedicated position,
independent of any individual, no matter how handy or brilliantly
qaulified, which will provide for system maintence in the long-term.
        In the absence of such a position, stick to as simple and specific
a software and hardware system you can find and back it up a solid
maintenence and software support agreement. If if you aren't 500 miles
from the nearest service agent, as we are here in Alaska, you must have
firm arrangements for external support , if such support does not
exist in-house.
        Good luck
        Mike Lewis
        University of Alaska Museum