From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 13:05:03 CST
As an AOL user, I have been quite impressed with the online service in terms
of ease of use and graphics.  But the question DOES remain; is it truly fair
for major "national" museums and agencies to put their resources on only
one commercial online network as opposed to others?   Both the Smithsonian and
LC seek vast support from a wide clientele, arguing that they are the library
and museum of the American people.  Yet is is fair for them to place their
national online resources on only one network?   If I'm happy with Prodigy or
GEnie or Compuserve, doesn't this decision limit their access to "people"?

I'd rather their service be generic and hence available to all the online
services.  Some of the online sources (USA Today, encyclopedias, etc.) are
available to ANY online service that wants to subscribe or purchase.  I think
LC and Smithsonian can do No less.                    --Dean DeBolt