From:
"William A. Broom" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 16:48:45 -0400
  Someone on this group recently complained about receiving an "I'm on
vacation this month" advisory through this (or another) listserv.
  If you're going on vacation and plan to use a local program such as
Vacation to send such an automated reply to those who send you email while
you're away, _PLEASE_ unsubscribe to all listservs before invoking the
Vacation program.  Many (most, all?) such automated response programs will
send your "I'm at Club Med until August" message to _all_ subscribers of
your listservs, often for _every_ message you receive from the listserv.
  Aside from filling up a lot of folks' email boxes, it alerts mischief-
makers whom you'll never know that now might be the time to check out your
residence for your prized heirloom lace doily collection.
  Don't forget to resubscribe on your return _after_ disabling the
Vacation program.

  Bill Broom  Department of Art and Art History, Duke University