From:
Heather Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 15:51:34 -0500
Dear Mr. Roberts,

Regarding your request for impressions of the ICOM Classification for
costume, I would suggest that you contact Shelley Foote of the Costume
Department at the Smithsonian.  She did an analysis of the ICOM
Costume Classification, and was intending to publish it - I'm not sure
if it's out yet.

I spoke to my supervisor, Anu Liivandi-Palias, at the ROM textile
department where I am currently interning about the ICOM costume
classification (she presented a seminar at a conference on the subject
in 1990, and believes that you may have been in attendance).  Anu
finds the main problem with the ICOM costume classification to be the
discrepancies in the classification numbers of identical garments from
one section to another.  For instance, Women's Trousers are in class
1.33, whereas Men's Trousers are in 1.31.  This makes it impossible to
search for "Trousers" across the board.

Regarding the internship, I have found accomodation in a student
hostel on Philpott St. in Whitechapel; I believe that it's quite close
to the Museum of London, and the rates were reasonable.

heather coates