From:
jenni rodda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 1994 12:23:46 -0500
Dear Rachel Allen (hi, Rachel) and anyone else concerned abou safety--

The VRA conference hotel is a 3-minute walk (4 blocks, I think) from the
CAA conference hotel.  Yes, it is safe to make that walk at night.  Having
said that, please remember, when walking in New York City at any time of day,
to be vigilant and careful:  wear your handbag diagonally across your body,
with the purse in front, or put your wallet in your front pants pocket (not
your jacket or back pants pocket, where a pickpocket can easily reach it).
Keep jewelry out of sight; in general, if you are worried that something will
be stolen, leave it at home.  New York is like any big city; and yes, I
know that crime is a problem here.  But the city has really gotten a lot of
unnecessary bad press, and those of you visiting here should come to enjoy
the wonders the city has to offer.

If I can be of any assistance as people make their final conference plans,
please let me know.

Jenni Rodda, Vice President, Visual Resources Association
Curator, Visual Resources Collection, Institute of Fine Arts
and long-time resident of New York City