From:
Julie Blood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:36:56 -0400
Good Morning!

One of our volunteers is cataloging a collection of books that contains randomly placed pressed/dried flowers between the pages.  Gotta love those Victorian folks!  My question is, what is the best way to store them?  We are removing them from the books and documenting where they were found.  As of now we are storing them in polyethylene zip-lock bags that are backed with archival cardstock and placing them into folders and stored vertically in a clamshell box.  Would it be better to lay them flat?  Should I be concerned with any pests that might consider the dried flowers a treat?  We also wondered if they should stay in the archives vault (which is very well climate-controlled) or moved to the collections storage area (which is only climate controlled for human comfort because it is also office space)?  I don't have experience with botanical collections, so any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Julie