From:
Angela Kipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2015 19:49:56 +0200
Hi Cedar,

we have recently introduced barcoding in our collections, both for
accession numbers and locations. We actively use them since February,
tagged about 3,000 artifacts so far and are nearing the completion of
the first "baptism of fire" for the system, the deinstallation of our
last exhibit with about 600 of our own artifacts going back to storage
within 2 weeks. All I can say is that I haven't regretted the decision
pro barcoding a single minute an it seems this is the first
deinstallation ever without confused numbers.

I did a research on barcoding last year including a list of museums that
use different systems like barcoding, QR and RFID, most of them in the
U.S. Happy to share if you are interested.

You might also be interested in the article  "If it moves, barcode it!"
by Sheila Perry:
http://world.museumsprojekte.de/?p=4521

Best wishes
Angela

Angela Kipp
Collection Manager
TECHNOSEUM, Mannheim, Germany
http://www.technoseum.de

Join the Registrar Trek at http://world.museumsprojekte.de/
Follow us on Twitter @RegistrarTrek

The views expressed are my own. My museum can't be held responsible for
anything I write.