From:
Shikoh Shiraiwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:30:15 -0500
Hi everybody!!

Happy new year!

I have a question regarding to copyright again.

I work at a state university gallery/museum.

I am curating a show next month about anime, comics, and video games and I have a submission from this artist who works for a video game design company.

This artist said he would like to submit his works. I looked through his works and they are fantastic.
He asked me that if he could submit more if he gets a permission from his company.
He works for a design company, so, most of his works were owned by the company.

First, I did not see any problem if the copyright owner gives him a permission.
Then, I started thinking about if this artist sells any works at the exhibition, what is going to happen?

If the sale starts some conflicts between the artist and company, such as which one gets money, does it affect the gallery?
I personally think that copyright owner probably gets money, but not sure...

The gallery helps to promote to sell artworks but does not take commission. Money transaction is between an artist and buyer.

I may be just paranoid, but I just like to avoid to be in a middle any problem if that ever occurs.

Does money go to artists or company?

Should I tell artist that he needs to discuss about the matter with his company before I can accept his permitted works?

or

Can I accept permitted works and let them deal with it if any of his works are sold?
So, my gallery will take no part of it if something goes wrong....

Would you please let me know what you guys think!

Thank you!!
Sincerely
Shikoh Shiraiwa