From:
lucysperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2013 18:44:41 -0800
Hear! Hear!  Danielle is right on.

I would add that the budget is both a planning tool and an evaluation tool
-are you allocating money to do what you plan to do or just whatever comes
along?  At the end of the year did you bring in as much as you spent so the
organization is sustainable? Was the money spent to maximize effect in
meeting your mission or stated purpose?

Unfortunately, too many people on boards who themselves aren't in non-profit
management, don't seem understand how important a budget is. It is not, as
some think, either unneeded make-work, or a hamstring restricting what can
be done.  It can be changed as needed with appropriate deliberation, but it
makes the "brain" that is the Board have to act purposefully when they elect
to change directions or do something previously unplanned.

I get a little passionate about it, having been on so many Boards with
individuals who don't 'get it' and seeing them always scrambling to bring in
money then spend it for the next 'good idea' without thinking long term or
big-picture.

Lucy Sperlin