From:
"jerry.symonds" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2013 09:26:06 +0100
Hello there,

OK -as an Internal Auditor, I am going to open up the "dark side of the
moon" on this discussion thread!

Naturally, I am with you all 100% that 'intellectually' there should be
a strong presumption of public access to archives and stored collections
in all museums. The urban myth of such items being the exclusive
preserve of curators, analogous to Fafner the Dragon guarding the gold
in Richard Wagner's Ring Cycle should indeed be nothing more than an
urban myth/thing of the past...! But I digress ;)! Here are some good
reasons why a museum/heritage site MIGHT be hesitant about allowing the
kind of access you have been discussing:

1. They have reservations about the security arrangements over these
archives. This could include both the risks of theft and damage through
handling.

2. Worse still they may in the last say 12 months have had a major
breach in security and have been told in no uncertain terms by Senior
Management that this is not to happen again!

3. And if 2 has happened, but the museum has managed to avoid this going
public, then they are hardly likely to tell that to anyone who is making
genuine enquiries about access - not least because that person might NOT
be quite as genuine as they make out!

4. The museum may not have the budget or resource to invigilate access
to the archives.

5. Their Collections Management system may not be sophisticated enough
to track movement from the archive into "inspection area" and back into
archives.

6. They may be worried (wrongly) that allowing public access will
interfere with their own research.

7. Certainly, as has already been mentioned, they may be worried by 'end
use control' e.g. what is the purpose of the research and what will it
be used for? If the researcher wants to photograph the item(s) what is
the museum's policy? They may be developing an image library (on a
commercial basis) but not quite be there yet.

8. Leading on from 7, the museum may be wrestling with the "digital
image v real thing" debate. The researcher may also be thinking along
these lines! So, while a "simple" way to escape this whole dilemma is to
offer virtual (digital) access rather than real access, many will want
to see the originals....and implementing digital access requires time,
money, resource, planning, etc...

My guess is that most if not all of the above are concerns that museum
staff may not wish to discuss openly with researchers. While one would
always hope that the museum would be as helpful as possible in such
circumstances e.g. by offering to do the research themselves (at a
price, as already mentioned) my guess is that some museums may - for any
or all of the above reasons - simply say "Sorry: no access".

I hope that helps to provide the "other side of the story" - remembering
that I am actually on your side in encouraging public access to
archives...

The above are my personal views and not necessarily those of my
employers.

Best Wishes,

Jerry Symonds - Snr Internal Auditor
Historic Royal Palaces