From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:27:25 -0400
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Norman Paul Stromdahl
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For profit vs not-for-profit are forms of incorporation that factor into how taxes are calculated. 501c3 designates an entity existing for the public
> good and therfore able to receive donations. An employee is someone whose time, place and work product you control... no matter your corporate or tax
> status.

On that related note, aside from the ethics of having a volunteer
working "full-time" (i.e. 30 0r more hours a week) on a regular basis,
is there ever a time where volunteers are considered "employees" in
the eyes of the law/OSHA? Just curious. I'm not talking interns, who
presumably are getting college credit out of the deal but regular
volunteers who come in and work at a museum almost or like a museum
employee. Are there laws about how many hours volunteers are allowed
to work or work continuously in a given amount of time before you have
to start compensating them in some way or limits to their hours?

For example, a big exhibit is going up and everyone, including
volunteers, are working like crazy people 80 hours a week to get it up
and installed. That's a temp thing and one would not expect to have
anyone work those kinds of hours once the exhibit goes up.

Example #2 - Sally, a sweet elderly lady, has been coming into the
museum as an office volunteer for around 30 hours a week for the past
few years. Since she is a regular volunteer and works a near full-time
schedule, are there any additional rules and/regs concerning the
amount of hours she is working or the time she has worked? Would she
be required to cut back hours so that she doesn't give the appearance
that she is a "regular" staff member. Or are there no laws regarding
how many hours volunteers can work and Sally can work as much or as
little as she wants as long as she and the museum are okay with it.

Thanks in advance!

Deb Fuller