From:
Peter Musa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2012 20:16:05 +0100
Hi Meghan,

While on internship at the National Museums of Kenya (NMK) at Nairobi
National Museum in 2005 I worked with the Interactive Public
Programing Department. Here we were involved in developing educational
programs and exhibitions. The department worked with young artists and
created the Young Researchers Club for school pupils. A newsletter was
published and the department organized programs for the young pupils
aimed aimed stimulating creativity, knowledge building as related to
the natural sciences and the arts/culture. This way NMK was able to
build interest in its museums spread across Kenya by children. The
children paid a small membership fee and were eager to attend club
programs. They learnt quite a lot and this surely contributed in
ensuring that young Kenyans build on a culture of visiting museums
unlike same age group children, students and old persons in Cameroon
who hardly visit or take interest in museums. During the internship I
have the opportunity to plan and organize with NMK colleagues a
seminar for educational authorities and had teachers in Kisumu Museum
headquarters of Nyanza Province (where Obama's father comes from). By
involving educational authorities and head teachers NMK is doing a
great job in ensuring that students and teachers are involved in
museum activities nationwide. In 2005 the NMK received over 500,000
visitors and over 300,000 were students.

This group is a must if thinking about building museum membership.
This is an area Mus'Art Gallery is also very much interested in.

Peter Musa
Director
Mus'Art Gallery
www.musartgallery.org