From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:48:26 -0400
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Michael Reuter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do any of you out there have any advice for someone who is about to become
> an executive director for the first time? I’ve done as much reading and
> research as I can to this point, but I know that learning doesn’t all come
> from books. If there are any peers or colleagues of mine that have any tips
> or kernels of knowledge that they would like to pass on, I’m all ears.

I will respond with an example from this weekend. I was at a big event
at a major museum, which brought in thousands of visitors and probably
used a couple hundred staff and volunteers. In the chow line for the
participants, I spied the museum director, a retired 4 star Marine
general, serving food just like he was a regular volunteer. It wasn't
a photo-op nor was he dressed any differently than anyone else other
than his name-tag. I thought this was an excellent display of
leadership and humility.

So as an executive director or any other kind of director for that
matter, never think that you are above your staff or that any job is
beneath you. If you are willing to get in the trenches and do what
needs to be done, your staff will rise to the occasion as well. This
is not an excuse to work them to death but to say that a staff's
attitude reflects that of their leader. If morale is sucking, look at
yourself first and see what you can change, not at your staff. If you
aren't willing to do a job, chances are they aren't going to want to
do it either. The old cliche' is true: if you want to learn how to
lead, first learn how to follow.

So good luck! The rest is mainly paperwork anyway. ;)

Deb Fuller