From:
Cass Karl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:20:13 -0500
I strongly agree with the previous posts about learning from the
staff.  As someone who is about 1 1/2 years into my first
directorship, I cannot stress enough the importance of this.  This is
one area where I have done VERY well.  It accomplishes a number of
things that will help you later, including:
- Establishing a rapport with each staff member and letting them know
that you are interested in what they do.
- Learning everyone's strengths and weaknesses.
- Letting them see your strengths and weaknesses
- Gaining the base knowledge to know when something is not right, and
being able to recommend solutions.

As to the board, well, I did not do very well with that at first.
Things have worked out well lately, though, and I believe that if I
had done some things differently from the start, it would have
benefitted everyone.  Here's what I would suggest:
- Recognize the skills that each board member brings to the table and
capitalize on them.  For example, one of our board members who is an
interior designer LOVES to help with exhibits.  She has learned a lot,
and is quite good at choosing colors, fonts, etc.  Doing this allows
her to be active without "meddling" (for lack of a better word) in
things that she knows nothing about and muddying other projects.
- Be confident.  Don't follow the board when they are just dead wrong,
such as doing something unethical or illegal.  Not only can you get in
trouble, but it will undermine your credibility with the staff and
volunteers.
- NEVER say "no".  Although this may seem to conflict with the above
statement, it does not mean letting the board have their way every
time.  "Let me look into that" and then coming back with *evidence* to
the contrary or "That's a good idea, but how will we make it work?"
can go a long way towards getting people to abandon a bad idea without
bluntly saying "no".
- do not bemoan or discount an "inactive" board member.  Some board
members may seem not to care, or not care "enough" or not have
anything to bring to the table.  Some might actually not care, or not
have anything to bring.  So what?  What can you do about that?
NOTHING!  Don't bemoan it, grumble about it, or fuss about it.  It is
what it is.  Move on.

And one final word that has not been brought up yet- Communicate often
and effectively.  Make sure that you are very clear and concise in
your communication, and expect the same from your staff and your
board.  Let it be known that you value good communication, and (at
least with your staff) that you will not tolerate poor communication.
Be open to the ideas of others and encourage regular forums for
sharing information, such as meetings, email discussions, and informal
round table lunches.  Establishing good communication is the most
important aspect of your job.  Don't expect anyone else to do it for
you, and don't expect it to be easy.  It is essential to your success
and sanity- take it seriously!

Just my two cents.

-Casandra