Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:28:27 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!" - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBSITE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  Los Angeles readies for a ''Levitating Mass''
In fact, transporting the boulder has been an epic undertaking that curator
Michael Govan has compared to the building of the great pyramids

**  The late, late shows: art galleries burn midnight oil for blockbusters
The National Gallery had desperate visitors camping out to get their hands
on some of the 500 tickets for Leonardo released every morning until the
exhibition closed

**  NGA goes under cover
Curious conservators at Canberra's National Gallery of Australia have used
infra-red rays on paintings lent for its Renaissance exhibition to reveal
distinct differences between what was originally painted and the resultant
work

****  HAPPY TRAVELERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2012! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 hotels in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations.
Interactive Map with the world's top festivals and events.
CLICK HERE http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser - Airfares, Car
Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and  Cruises!
Provider is EXPEDIA, a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Ronald Reagan overtakes Abraham Lincoln in museum attendance
As four candidates fight for the Republican presidential nomination, two
dead presidents are battling for ticket sales

**  JMW Turner, the English Claude
He was the low-born child prodigy who exhibited his first work at the Royal
Academy at the age of 15 - a man whose talent could have opened society for
him but whose obsession with art locked the world out

**  New black history museum rising on National Mall
Frederick Douglass was black and that was enough for the Smithsonian
Institution to bar the famed abolitionist from speaking at a lecture series
intended to convince President Abraham Lincoln that he should end slavery as
war divided the nation in February 1862

**  When printmaking was embraced as a contemporary art form
'Proof,' an exhibit at the Norton Simon, explores the L.A.-based renaissance
of the '60s and '70s, which was sparked by June Wayne and her Tamarind
Workshop

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 639?
Now on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet
& Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 700 members.  Join Today At
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  King Charles II 'wanted' poster fetches £33,000
Issued by Oliver Cromwell's parliament, the poster calls for "the discovery
and apprehending of Charles Stuart and other traitors, his adherents and
abettors"

**  How Gilbert & George stole the headlines and made art
If you are a London newsagent and have noticed an impeccably dressed but
slightly shifty gentleman in his 60s regularly buying chewing gum in recent
years, you may have been the victim of a "crime"

**  Mona Lisa could have been completed a decade later than thought
A drawing of rocks by Leonardo in the Royal Collection provides evidence
that the artist worked on the portrait for much longer than the dates
officially given by the Louvre

**  Proposed Helsinki museum proves unpopular
After initial positive reaction to a proposed new Guggenheim Museum in
Helsinki, Finland, the public has turned against the idea

TWEET TWEET - Follow Global Museum On Twitter!
http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
68,164 Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 2,556 Followers worldwide
and growing fast

**  Inside The Museum Of The World's Richest Man
The museum houses some 3,400 works of art, but that's only a sliver of the
64,000 art works owned by Carlos Slim

**  Hey Occupy Wall Street, lay off the museum world
The targeting of cultural institutions, which started in earnest with
projects such as "Occupy Museums" last fall and culminated last week in a
call for the end of the 2014 Whitney Biennial, seems off point, to say the
least

**  National Leprechaun Museum gets more proactive online
Opened in 2010 on Jervis St in Dublin, The National Leprechaun Museum has
started an online retail system on its website selling merchandise and
vouchers

**  This Week's Horoscopes
Aquarius - Although you won't discover electricity in the absolute sense
this week, you will discover it in a very profound personal fashion

Become a Facebook Fan -  Join 1,717 of  us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Do Stone Age hunters tools found on U.S. east coast prove the first
Americans came from Europe?
They have argued that Stone Age humans were able to make the 1500 mile
journey across the Atlantic ice and suggested that from Western Europe,
Stone Age people migrated to North America at the height of the Ice Age

**  Museum of Vancouver goes art deco for chic fashion exhibit
It took him 11 years to get his hands on Margaret Raegh's wrap, and he only
succeeded after her death. "I didn't exactly follow the hearse, but as soon
as I found out she'd died, I got on the phone"

**  IBM making the Louvre Museum smarter
IBM's "building whisperer" has been listening to the Louvre to make the
famed Paris museum better at protecting art, saving energy, and staying open
for its millions of annual visitors

**  Argentina to build museum honoring Falklands war dead on site of
dictatorship torture center
President Cristina Fernandez says a new museum dedicated to the Falklands
Islands will honor Argentine marines killed trying to reclaim them from
Britain 30 years ago

@@@@  The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's DAILY NEWSPAPER powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  National Geographic Museum to open Titanic exhibit
To mark the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking, the National
Geographic Museum in Washington is preparing a new exhibit on the history
and study of the famous ship

**  Famous sword back where 'it should be'
It had been lost since 1907 but was found by a fluke in 2010 by a former
archivist while thumbing through Antiques magazine in a barbership

**  Shpilman International Prize for Excellence in Photography
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem and the Shpilman Institute for Photography
announce the opening of the 2012 edition of the Shpilman International Prize
for Excellence in Photography and welcome nominations and submissions.

**  Two Museum Workshops at Kent State
Attention, Museum and Cultural Heritage Professionals

Add Us To Your Google+ Circle - 153 in circles so far -
https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

**  City Museums: Collisions I Connections
Call For Papers - CAMOC 2012 Annual Conference / Museum of Vancouver

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!