From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2012 06:44:03 -0400
New director of NMAH - the founding director of the Autry Center of
the American West, John Gray.

http://www.wtop.com/109/2857479/LA-museum-boss-to-lead-Smithsonian-history-museum

His background is actually from business as he was in commercial
banking and then went on to the Small Business Administration under
Clinton. He has an MBA.

While I appreciate his background in business and think it is sorely
needed in the museum world, I do wonder about someone heading up a
national museum who has no formal training in museums. Granted, he did
do great things with the Autry museum so hopefully he will have great
people under him and will listen to them.

Is there anyone here from the Autry Center that was there for the
transformation or knows anything more about him?

What about this trend at the Smithsonian to hire people who come from
business rather than the museum world? I admit, I was around when
Spencer Crew headed up the American History and I don't think his
shoes have ever been filled.

Deb Fuller