From:
"Breza, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:02:04 -0600
When we hosted the Dinotopia exhibit (James Gurney the artist) we did a
hands-on activity in which the child visitor could take air hardening
clay and press it into a rubber mold of a fossil.  With Dinotopia we
stuck to items like a T-Rex claw and other very small fossilized items.
We actually asked for a $1 donation to do this and it went over very
well.  We popped the clay out of the mold and placed it into a paper bag
and gave it back to the visitor to carry about while it dried.  Ran it
all with volunteer help.

We cast the molds off of commercially available fossil replicas.  This
was over 10 years ago so product-brand names have changed and I will not
get into brand names to use.  I am sure a fast check with any art or
craft supplier will get you fast, clean, non-toxic things to use.

FYI Dinotopia is now 20 years old as a publication and exhibit is still
touring.

Mike Breza
Assistant Director
Oshkosh Public Museum