From:
"Tenuth, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 14:30:56 -0500
It sounds like you're already on the right track.  I doubt if many museums have an actual policy regarding the exhibiting of taxidermy specimens.  Sometimes you just do what makes sense.  If pedestals and stanchions are what you are going to use, then you can expect visitors to be close to the specimens and in some cases, perhaps touch them.  You won't be able to stop everyone from touching.  If you warn visitors that some of the specimens may contain toxic chemicals such as arsenic, that may help prevent them from touching, but then some may ask why are you exhibiting them in the first place if they contain such chemicals?  You will have to take the middle road and try to keep the specimens out of reach without obstructing visitor's views.  We recently did an exhibit called "Footprints:  Balancing Nature's Diversity," and used raised and recessed platforms that kept the specimens in good view but out of reach by setting them back on the platforms.  We had very little under glass except for a Passenger Pigeon and a Carolina Parakeet because they were so rare.   That seemed to work pretty well, as the specimens suffered no damage during two extended showings.

Jeff Tenuth

Natural History Collection Manager

Indiana State Museum

650 W. Washington St.