From:
"Foster, Lisa C Ms CIV NG MSARNG" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:17:32 -0500
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I've honestly never dealt with this issue before as museum staff.  However,
thinking as a Girl Scout leader who took her troop to a museum last month,
we'd never make it with anything that has to be kept up with.  Of course,
you may not have that many children coming through, although it sounds like
it.  Granted, most children would probably be with their parents who would be

able to keep up with their stuff better, but even when it's just me, I don't
care to keep up with anything extra, especially if it's small and I have to
dig in my purse to find it.

From my point of view, stickers, armbands, or maybe even just a stamp or
mark on the back of each visitors hand would be more appropriate, just
because it's not something you have to worry with, you just look down and
it's there.  Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about kids having to find
theirs by pulling it out of their pocket or losing it, you just look over at
them and you know.

At another museum I worked at, we didn't necessarily have a problem with too
many visitors in the gallery at once, but we did allow people to roam around
on the grounds and leave and come back later that day.  We used a different
colored armband for each day just to make it easier on the staff since we
didn't have timed tickets with the date stamped on them.  You could always
do the same thing with stickers or even those little tags that clip on to
your collar.  The Museum of Mobile had them last time I visited but I can't
remember what they are called.  Honestly, stickers seem like the easiest
solution, imo, although definitely not as fun as tiddly winks or wooden
nickels.  If you didn't use them all on the super busy days, you could always

use them for easy advertising at community events.

Just my 2 cents....

-Lisa-