From:
Frances Allshouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:13:53 -0500
Hello everyone,

I'm part of a small Virginia historical society that has recently decided to restart its oral history program.  I'm finding that one of the major stumbling blocks in years past was that those who conducted interviews never submitted transcripts.  I'd like to stress the importance of a full transcription, but having done them myself I know how time-consuming they are.  With that in mind, do you think a thorough tape log would be an adequate substitute?  Oral histories are not very useful unless you know what topics the tapes cover, but on the other hand you lose the information all together if you never do the interview for fear of the transcription process.  Any thoughts?