From:
Betsey Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:48:40 -0400
This is the policy that the Martha's Vineyard Museum is currently
following. Best wishes!

MATERNITY LEAVE
The goals of this policy are clearly the good health of the mother and
child and the effective operation of the museum. MVM assumes, moreover,
that these two goals are not only compatible but also mutually beneficial.
1. The employee should inform the Executive Director of the need for a
maternity leave and the expected date of birth at least three months in
advance. The Executive Director will assume, unless informed otherwise,
that the employee plans to return full-time to her position following
her maternity leave.
2. The period of maternity leave will be eight weeks. During her
pregnancy, the employee may work as long as her physical condition and
the requirements of her position permit. Normally maternity leave
commences with the birth of the child, but medical reasons or mutual
convenience may suggest an earlier commencement. During the eight weeks
of maternity leave, the employee will remain at full pay and continue to
receive the full benefits of her employment.
3. When a maternity leave happens to overlap, wholly or partially, with
a paid holiday(s), the period of overlap counts in the total of eight
weeks. No additional paid leave (beyond eight weeks) will be granted.
4. In the employee’s absence, the Executive Director and/or Department
Supervisor will ensure that the employee’s duties are covered, work
loads redistributed, and (if necessary) a substitute hired, according to
the particular circumstances and needs of the case.
5. As mandated by state law, an employee taking maternity leave will be
reinstated to her same or comparable position after her eight-week leave.
If for personal reasons the employee wishes to return to work with
different responsibilities from those for which she was originally
hired, she should make such wishes known to the Executive Director as
soon as possible. However, requests for revised job descriptions are not
strictly matters of maternity leave policy, and the ability or
willingness of MVM to accommodate them cannot be assumed. The Executive
Director has ultimate responsibility for setting and negotiating terms
of employment for all employees.
For clarity, an employee taking maternity leave will be asked to state
her intentions in writing with respect to the timing of her leave and
the duties she expects to resume following her leave.
PATERNITY LEAVE
An employee requesting paternity leave will be entitled to up to eight
weeks leave including or commencing with the birth of the child. As in
the case of maternity leaves, the employee should inform the Executive
Director at least three months in advance of the need for a paternity
leave and the expected date of birth. The Executive Director will
assume, unless informed otherwise, that the employee plans to return to
his position following paternity leave.
During the eight weeks of paternity leave, the employee will remain at
full pay and continue to receive the full benefits of his employment.
When a paternity leave happens to overlap, wholly or partially, with a
paid holiday(s), the period of overlap counts in the total of eight
weeks. No additional paid leave (beyond eight weeks) will be granted.
In the employee’s absence, the Executive Director and/or Department
Supervisor will ensure that the employee’s duties are covered, work
loads redistributed, and (if necessary) a substitute hired, according to
the particular circumstances and needs of the case. The employee taking
paternity leave will be reinstated to his same or comparable position
after his eight-week leave.