From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:56:55 -0400
A lot of places have included such accommodations in a comprehensive "parental leave" policy rather than a "maternity leave" policy.

When I had my kids, the institution's policy for maternity, paternity and adoptive parent leave was to allow up to 12 weeks' leave with guaranteed resumption of job at the pay level on the day before the leave started.  However, the leave was unpaid although some benefits continued (health insurance being the main one).  One could use up one's accumulated vacation and sick time during the leave until it was all expended, and no new hours were accumulated during the leave.  I also had to arrange for work to be done--I worked ahead, then trained interns to do the basic daily stuff, and I think they ended up being paid a small hourly wage by the institution.  I took the full 3 months each time (2), saved my paid leave time and only ended up unpaid for a matter of a few weeks.  With #2 I negotiated coming back half-time for the last 2 weeks of the leave at half-salary (no accruing of new leave during that time, though).  But it was a very small workplace, not subject to FMLA.

Julia Muney Moore

Public Art Administrator

Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN

(317) 875-5500 x219

mobile (317) 460-0596

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this E-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you.

Please consider our responsibility to the environment before printing this email.