From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:47:29 -0400
Hi, Gayle

Get the DVD of the documentary film, "The Curious Mister Catesby,"
and watch it now for ideas of places you'd like to see. (Preview at
http://www.catesbytrust.org/ )
Mark Catesby was the 18th-century English naturalist who first
described and illustrated the wildlife of much of the region you'll
be going through.

It's been shown on public television, film festivals; gotten rave reviews, e.g.
"Catesby is a remarkable subject for a documentary, but the film
itself deserves mention.  In today's built-up, tamed America, the
producers have succeeded in recreating the wilderness that Catesby
knew.  They have taken many of his illustrations and shown how easily
they transform into dynamic, real-life subjects.  Reproductions of
Catesby's own words, combined with  commentaries from experts in the
field, underline his importance in the development of the
presentation of Natural History.  The film is not just a documentary,
but also a delight to the eye and ear."

Unfortunately, you'll miss the showing at the South Carolina Native
Plant Society Annual Symposium, Magnolia Plantation, Charleston, SC
at May 8, 7 pm, but you might want to check into the Magnolia
Plantation as a stop on your tour.

I envy you and your grand-daughter the chance to see these places!

Karen

--
Opening  May 2, 2010, 1-4
"Call the Doctor! Call the Nurse! History of Medicine in New Jersey, 1775-1975"