From:
Julie Blood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:10:41 -0500
I'd like some advice on the use of electric simmer pots for scented wax in museums.  I share an office space with our education and visitor services manager and yesterday she started using one of these at her desk.  The smell isn't bad, it is a mild spiced scent, but our desks are located in an area where collections are processed and a collections storage room with a closed door is located about 10 feet away from her desk.  What are the effects of the scent being released on the collections even though they are in another room and most are boxed?  Any suggestions on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.  She's worked for the Museum for 10 years and I've been here only a year so I don't want to alienate her, but I'm also looking out for the Museum's collections.

Thanks,
Julie