From:
Jim Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 04:08:46 -0500
Can I just say, to anyone who was offended by my reference to Godwin's 'Law' that this was meant to be a slightly lighthearted comment, and was designed to point to the fact that most of these arguments will descend into personal abuse (possibly because of the lack of face-to-face contact and the inability to read people's intentions.

I should have realised that the argument had probably gone too far for irony, so I apologise unreservedly if I caused offence.

In my defence, I should say that I never expressed my personal views on this matter; what I did say and remain sure of is that museums have to establish a position for themselves in which they have confidence, but they do not have the right to trample on the views of others (nor do we all).

To all those who are always so helpful on Museum-L; I hope the list can handle controversy without rancour and allow those trying to make difficult decisions a forum for all museum-related discussions.